Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Nephi's "can do" Attitude

All my life I have had a "can do" attitude. When I want to do something, I just figure out how to do it, and then I do it. I used to attribute this attitude to my parents - but last night at Family Home Evening, we read the scripture in 1 Nephi 3:7 where Nephi testified that the Lord will provide a way to accomplish the things He wants us to accomplish.


And tonight I read this part in 1 Nephi 17:50-51

If God commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command that I should say into the water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done. And now, it the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?
You could easily fill in that last part with any "impossible" task you are facing - "how is it that he cannot help me be a mother", or "teach me how to fulfill my calling" - or whatever we need to do?

I still attribute my can-do attitude to my parents, but it makes me appreciate them even more, because they taught me about Nephi's can-do attitude. That's where it comes from. A "can-do" attitude is a gospel principles.

I like the attitude of "If God wants me to do something, He will make it happen." We don't have to fret about it.

Do you sometimes fret when should just have faith? Do you share Nephi's "can-do" attitude? Do you believe that if God wants you to do something, He will show you the way to do it?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. I need to print that last part out and tape it near my desk: Do you believe that if God wants you to do something, He will show you the way to do it?
    Off to do it right now...
    (thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! I am a compulsive quote printer-outer. The wall next to my bathroom mirror is plastered with quotes from conference talks, blogs, etc. :) I think it helps me to see them every day. Well, I hope it does!

      Delete
  2. I really love the whole purpose of your blog and sharing insights from the scriptures. That is what I love to do as well. I loved this post and the can-do attitude. Nephi is one of my most favorite Book of Mormon prophets. His faith strengthens me so much. Thanks for this today.

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...