Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Fragments–and a call for guest posts

-1-

I was recently extended an opportunity to help out a friend on my blog, and I am very excited for it! You’ll find out more soon! Really soon!

-2-

I have been really enjoying getting involved in my community recently with the community symphony and the community theater,

8199282-R1-039-18
my senior year of high school
and the president of the symphony board recently asked me to get involved and get ready to head things up. I am kind of excited and kind of nervous for that opportunity, but I absolutely love the symphony, so I’m mostly excited. I also have the opportunity to volunteer to help with our city’s fourth of July festival. I’m excited about that mostly because last year was lame, and I hope I can help keep this year from being lame again! I am pretty sure that is a little arrogant of me, but seriously… it was lame.

-3-

Our ward choir sang an arrangement of A Child’s Prayer with a children’s choir on Sunday. I love the ward choir, and I am so grateful for all the support of the ward members who come sing in the choir. We have a great ward choir, and I love them a lot! I should have recorded it. I was so proud of the kids – they totally sang their hearts out. The best part? All the kids afterward who asked if they could sing next time! (we had a hard time getting kids to commit, but I think they didn’t know exactly what they were going to be doing. Now that they know, I’m hoping we can get the Primary kids to sing more with the choir. Gotta love those children’s choirs. They melt everyone’s hearts.

-4-

My kids both have birthdays in the next two weeks. Lots of birthday celebrations are in our near future! I am excited. I love parties. We’ll be having a Star Wars party for V, and I am super excited about it. I’ll let you now how it goes.

-5-

Yesterday afternoon my phone calendar popped up an alert for something I had today and I unlocked my phone to look at the details, and forgot to lock it while I was holding it, so I accidentally dialed my best friend and former roommate from BYU (not knowing that it was her I was dialing). It’s an iPhone, so when I noticed it was calling someone I only saw the little green bar that says “touch here to return to call” and so I did and tried to hang up, not wanting to bother her. We don’t talk frequently because she’s busy and I’m busy, although we do try to visit occasionally. I didn’t want her to think anything was wrong (which is what I would initially think if she was calling me) so I tried to hang up quickly, hoping that it hadn’t actually rung her phone yet.

Almost immediately, she called me back. I was secretly excited because I miss her and was thinking this would be a good excuse to catch up, but her voice sounded weird and she said she was actually glad I had called because she needed to talk to me, but right then wasn’t a good time, so she would call me back.

I was nervous all afternoon/evening.

She called me back around 7pm.

My friend’s younger sister had been found
dead in her apartment in Las Vegas
just 30 minutes before I “accidentally” called her.

Accident? Nope.

We shared a minute of silence as I cried.

It was likely an accidental overdose or alcohol poisoning, although they won’t be sure
until the toxicology report comes back. No evidence of foul play, and definitely not a suicide.
Likely just a bad cocktail of drugs and alcohol.

She had recently been diagnosed with possible cervical cancer.

My heart broke for my friend and I just wished that I could be there to hold on to her for a minute.

It’s really hard to loose a sibling. Even harder to lose one who was struggling. And I knew my brother was going to pass away. We expected it. Not as quickly as it happened, but we knew it was coming.

I’ll be driving down for the funeral within the week. I’m going to try to get some posts written and scheduled, but if anyone wants to submit a guest post that I can put up while I’m away at the funeral, I would really appreciate it. You can write the posts and email them to me at mysouldelighteth (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks in advance.

Check out Heather’s Friday Five here!

5 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm excited for your involvement in the symphony. :) I play piano, and have always wanted to play violin or cello or both. One thing my stake did (in PA) was a Messiah sing-a-long. They had people from the stake volunteer to be members of the orchestra and chorus. It was amazing I participated in it three years (while I lived there). i have always wished I could be part of it again...

    Also - concerning your friend and her sibling's death. I'm so sorry for her. Last year my brother also passed away - freak accident. He was only 18. He was not a member of the church. Yet, when he passed away, and I prayed for comfort and peace, I realized right away that the temple work has been done for my family, and there are people that he knows, that love him there. I knew that he was not alone. I knew that he was okay. I was still sad - there is definitely a time of mourning, but I knew that Heavenly Father loved him, and would care for him, and I didn't have to worry about his salvation. He'd be okay. I knew my family would be okay.

    Anyways...I hope things go well with the funeral. I'm really sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I'm so sorry about your friend's sister! What a sad tragedy! It is great that you are going to the funeral; that will be a great support to her and hopefully a beautiful reunion as well. I have a couple of very dear childhood friends that I only see at funerals and weddings. It is sad that life is so busy we rarely make time if there isn't such a huge occasion.

    As for your symphony involvement - WAY COOL! :D Seriously, I already thought you were amazing and now I'm just awe struck. It makes me want to play the piano again. I never had lessons (except for just a couple as a child - maybe one month?) but I loved to play and got fairly good. Then I became interested in boys and stopped playing much (boys are so luring! LOL :D) Actually, I think I just stopped when I moved and life just changed (age 16) and I got out of the habit; I was interested in boys (or a boy) LONG before I quit playing (:o).

    OK - enough about me and my youth... :) Save travels, and if I come up with something "spiritual" that would fit with this awesome blog I'll send it in.
    Corine :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got an update from my friend. The funeral is actually going to be up here in Utah, so no last minute travel for me! I have to say I'm relieved. I would still welcome guest posts this week, though. Just because the funeral is closer doesn't mean I will feel like posting :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your friend's loss, that is really hard. But what a blessing that you were able to be there for her at the time when she needed you. I am always astounded by the Lord's tender mercies in our lives. Oh, and the orchestra thing sounds wonderful. IT is always so fun when you can find way to continue developing and sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful thing that you were able to talk with her. What a miracle.

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...