Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Guest Post: Shelter From The Storm

Today’s guest post comes from Whitney at The Life of a Mormon Teen. I am excited to have her as a guest on my blog, and I absolutely love her blog, and the other teen bloggers out there trying to share the gospel. I am so impressed with their testimonies and maturity!

Hi! My name is Whitney. I am the teenager behind The Life of a Mormon Teen.

Let me just start off with saying the scriptures are awesome. As a teen, life is really hard. It’s emotionally draining, physically tasking, mentally challenging, socially awkward, and then just add acne to it. This is why I love the scriptures so much. In my world full of mean kids, hateful remarks, scary media, peer pressure, expectations, final exams, homework, and bullies, the scriptures are my sanctuary. I know that I can find peace in the scriptures. The scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, provide ways for us to take a break from our hectic lives and study the will and patterns of God. It is in the scriptures that we can feel of His pure love for us.

My favorite part of the Book of Mormon is when Christ appears to the people of the Americas after His crucifixion in the east. For three days after His death, there was complete darkness in the western world. Darkness, and all manner of storms and natural disasters. There were earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, volcano eruptions, you name it. Many people died.

“And it came to pass that there was thick darkness upon all the face of the land, insomuch that the inhabitants thereof who had not fallen could feel the vapor of darkness;”
3 Nephi 8:20

But after three days of terrible suffering, there was light. The tempests ceased, raging winds calmed, and everything was still. The people of the land heard a voice from heaven saying:

“Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased,
in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him.”
3 Nephi 11:7

Then Jesus descended from heaven. Pure white, light emanating from Him, I can only imagine that He was a sight for sore eyes. Jesus proceeded to heal the wounded and sick. He taught the Father’s gospel and brought the people peace.

clip_image002

Even though we live two thousand years in the future, this story still has tremendous meaning for our lives.

This darkness can be compared to the world around us. Sometimes, it feels so dark that we cannot see any light. It is so easy to get discouraged in this world full of sin and woes. Through the trials we have, it’s not hard to feel as if we are in the middle of a hurricane. With wickedness on all sides, we may feel like a tempest is raging. People are easily provoked and offended, erupting like volcanoes at the things people say. And the media pelts us with monstrosities, like dump truck-sized hail.

But even with all of this, we know that we can find shelter from the storm through Christ. We have an open invitation to His loving arms. I have felt peace through Him countless times. Right when we feel as if we will drown in the storm, His tender mercies appear. And, we also know that He will soon come to earth again to reign. It has been said that we are a highly favored generation. It’s true. We do have it hard. There is so much wickedness around. But we have been blessed with the strength, faith, and power to overcome all things that might stand in our way. The blessings we will receive from withstanding these trials will be far greater than any hardships we have ever or will ever face.

clip_image002[5]

I know that the scriptures are true. I know that Jesus loves all of us and that He is always there in our hours of need. And, I know that He will come again. When He does, I will be ready.

Thank you, Whitney, for sharing your amazing testimony with us! I am inspired by your faith-filled life and your ability to understand the gospel.

Check out more of Whitney’s works over at The Life of a Mormon Teen.

What is your favorite scripture? How have you found strength in those favorite scriptures? Have those scriptures become your friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...