Thursday, June 14, 2012

True to the Faith

The Church published a great little book around the time I was a senior in High School called “True to the Faith: a gospel reference”. It’s a hand little book, purse sized, that I carried around with me a lot as a teenager and young adult, for quick reference to gospel topics. I used it in talks, lessons, and gospel discussions with friends.

I have to admit, however, that I have not read through the entire book. It’s mostly basic information, but the basics really are what matters most. In an attempt to really go “back to the basics” in some parts of my study I am committing myself to reading through this book. I enjoyed the “Gospel Principles” lessons last year in Relief Society for exactly this reason – it took me back to the basics, which really are the most important parts of the gospel.

The First Presidency message in the front of the book says:

This book is designed as a companion to your study of the scriptures and the teachings of latter-day prophets. We encourage you to refer to it as you study and apply gospel principles. Use it as a resource when you prepare talks, teach classes, and answer questions about the Church.

As you learn gospel truths, you will increase in your understanding of Heavenly Father’s eternal plan. With this understanding as a foundation for your life, you will be able to make wise choices, live in harmony with God’s will, and find joy in living. Your testimony will grow stronger. You will remain true to the faith.

We are especially mindful of youth, young single adults, and new converts. We promise you that through regular personal prayer and study of the scriptures and the doctrines of the gospel you will be prepared to withstand evil influences that would deceive you and harm you.

May this book strengthen you in your efforts to draw near to the Savior and follow His example.

If you don’t have a copy of this book you can purchase one at the Church Distribution store, either in a physical store or online (free shipping) for $3.25. Or you can access it on the Church’s website here.

Have you read True to the Faith? Have you used it as a resource? What do you think about it? How do you feel about understanding gospel principles and the basics?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...