Tuesday, September 20, 2011

That Our Children May Know

I put my two year old down for a nap in my bed a few weeks ago. When I came back to check on her, this is what I found:

DSCN5786 If you can’t tell or don’t know what the book is, it is an economy edition of the Book of Mormon (I have a picture of one on the sidebar over there ----> ) I use an economy edition when I read the Book of Mormon straight through so it is like a fresh slate and I leave myself open to new inspiration.

She even had a pencil (she was marking her favorite scriptures, I’m sure!)

“And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.”

                               ~2 Nephi 25:26

And in Church on Sunday during sacrament meeting, our four year old pulled out his Book of Mormon and started underlining the words. I showed him the word “Cristo” (Christ, in Portuguese – it was his Portuguese edition) and “Deus” (God, in Portuguese). He proceeded to go through the pages, underlining those two words when he found them. This honestly surprised me, because he doesn’t read (yet). What touched my heart, though, was how excited he was to be finding “Christ” and “God” in the scriptures (and I’m sure part of it was how excited he was to write in his scriptures).

“For my soul delighteth in the scriptures, and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children.”

                           ~2 Nephi 4:15

This is why I study the scriptures. This is why I write about them. And this is why I talk to my children about them. I may start adding a post for Tuesdays and Thursdays about teaching your children about the scriptures.

How do you teach your children about the scriptures? How do you feel when your children seem to understand something important about the scriptures?

2 comments:

  1. How neat that your children are already involved in the scriptures! I'm sure you must set a great example for them!

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...