Monday, April 4, 2011

How I Learn from General Conference

What a wonderful conference! I really enjoy listening to the conference talks, and this weekend was no different. In fact, there are some talks that I am anxious to listen to again, and read as soon as the transcripts are available (which will be next Tuesday, according to LDS.org). I definitely can’t wait that long to listen to my absolute favorite talk, which ironically did not come from one of the apostles. It was a talk  by Elder Lynn G. Robbins of one of the quorums of the seventy, and it was perfect. If you missed it, I encourage you to listen to it. You can find it here.

I make three “lists” as I listen to or watch General Conference. They aren’t really separate lists, I just write things down in a little notebook. But I have developed little symbols to help me remember what goes on which list. The first symbol I have is a star. I draw a star when I am writing down the instruction I hear from the brethren. This is usually word for word what they say, although I have been known to write something down, and later when I listen, I can’t find that snippet of information anywhere. Usually, that means I was listening to the Spirit speak to me at that moment. The other symbol I have is an arrow. I draw an arrow when I am writing down what action I am going to take because of what I heard. The third list are things I usually write up in the heading of the note pages – and they are usually topics that I would like to study further in my own personal study.

I will post my three lists here in this order:

- the instruction I heard
- what I am going to do about it
- topics for further study

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...