Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why the words of Isaiah?

1 Nephi 21

When I read this chapter my first thought was “why Isaiah?” Of all the prophets, why did the Nephi quote Isaiah? Many people find Isaiah’s words hard to understand. His words definitely require a little more thought to get through. They are filled with imagery and allegory. Honestly I find Isaiah very satisfying to read. It’s not cut and dry, it’s interesting, alive, and changing, since the meaning will come from the Spirit’s testimony.

When Christ appears to the Nephites in 3 Nephi, he says

“And now, behold, I say unto you, that ye outght to search these things. Yea, a commandment I give unto you that ye search these things diligently; for great are the words of Isaiah. For surely he spake as touching all things concerning my people which are the house of Israel; therefore it must needs be that he must speak also to the Gentiles. And all things that he spake have been and shall be, even according to the words which he spake.” (3 Nephi 23:1-3)

Isaiah’s words are the words of Christ – and they are very important and significant, because they are timeless and true.

I have a desire to understand the scriptures better. I want to know the word of God, and the word of God is spoken by the prophets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...