Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Have not Required it, But the Lord

When Lehi told Nephi and his brothers to go and get the brass plates from Jerusalem, he said





(1 Nephi 3:5)

Lehi told Nephi that it wasn't a commandment from him (Lehi), but rather a commandment from God.

This prompted me to ask the question, "How can I make sure that my children understand that the commandments are from God rather from us as their parents?"

I imagine that principle can easily be missed by children and their parents when parents seek to limit their children's agency, rather than teaching them the gospel.

I am reminded of my favorite scripture to read to my kids - Mosiah 4:14-15

"And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit... He being an enemy to all righteousness.
But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another."



(my 4 year old almost has that scripture memorized... I really like reading it to them...)

Maybe this scripture holds some of the answer to that question.

How do you teach your children that the laws of God are truly God's laws, and not "mom and dad's" laws? How do you help them understand that what you are teaching them is not what you require of them, but rather, what God requires of them?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Many years ago I read the same thing and had the same thoughts. I do think though, that it is OK for us as parents to "require" some things as well... as long as we are NOT "forcing." The trick is to let them know that you require certain actions of them to be able to provide certain rewards. But I also think that the lord's requirements must be taught, as well as the principle that He has blessings He is waiting to give to us when we meet His requirements. Discipline/teaching is such a huge and awesome responsibility that we parents face. I am so thankful for the opportunity and blessing to be a mother who is learning from how our Heavenly Father parents through the gospel of Jesus Christ; I can't imagine having such a hugs responsibility without such huge insight!

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...