Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Temple Mirrors of Eternity: A Testimony of Family

(find the talk here)

Elder Gerrit W. Gong’s talk was funny, nice, and simple. He told a cute story about sending fresh homemade bread to his son and his companions in the MTC. Then he went on to talk about his ancestors.

My interest in my husband’s ancestry has been peaked recently, due to increased contact with his paternal grandmother. My husband was adopted by his stepfather at a young age, and never really knew or had contact with is biological father. Nevertheless, his genetics are predominantly from his biological father’s side, and I can even see a lot of my own children in that family – which dates back to the early pioneer settlers.

Elder Gong spoke of these mirrors in the  sealing rooms of our temples. The mirrors are positioned across the room from each other so that when you look into one of the mirrors, it seems to be that you can see repetitions of yourself forever and ever. We believe that temple ordinances seal us to our family and more importantly, to Heavenly Father for eternity. As long as we are sealed to each other (and to Heavenly Father) in the temple, and we live faithful to those covenants, our posterity will be never ending.

I liked this comment from Elder Gong:

The world pursues enlightened self-interest. Yet the power is not in us to save ourselves. But is is in Him. Infinite and eternal, only our Savior’s Atonement transcends time and space to swallow up death, anger, bitterness, unfairness, loneliness, and heartbreak.

My favorite part of the atonement isn’t always the part that redeems me – although that part is truly the most significant part. Usually the part that comforts me the most is that part that swallows up pain, anger, unfairness, loneliness, and heartbreak – because I have seen a lot of that in my life.

Elder Gong says “Sometimes things go wrong even though we have done our very best.” I’m sure parents everywhere have seen this and can testify of its truthfulness. Parents lose their children to the evil influences of the world. Parents become unable to bear their own children. Parents lose children in death before them. Parents lose a spouse through death or unfaithfulness or divorce. “When we remember [the Savior], He can stand with us ‘at all times and in all things and in all places that [we] may be in.’ His ‘faithfulness is stronger than the cords of death.’ In drawing to Him, our Savior also draws us to our Father in Heaven.”

What do the temple mirrors make you think about? Have you experienced things going wrong  even when you have done your very best? How do you rely on the Saviors atonement for more than just redemption from your sins?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...