Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I do not know the meaning of all things

1 Nephi 11:16-17

I love Nephi’s humility when he is speaking with the angel at the beginning of his vision of Christ’s birth and life. The angel asks Nephi if he knows the condescension of God (1 Nephi 11:16) and Nephi responds that he knows that God loves His children, but that he doesn’t understand the meaning of everything.

There are two important parts of this statement. Even though Nephi admits that he doesn’t understand everything, he holds to his testimony of the love of God. You don’t have to understand all the principles of the gospel to have a testimony of some of the more simple truths, like the truth that God loves us!

I know that God loves me. I am His daughter and I know that He wants me to return to live with Him again. I am very aware of my ignorance and lack of understanding of gospel principles, but I strive each day to learn more, and I pray for the help of the Lord to enlighten my heart and mind to more truth. I don’t have to be weak in the testimony that I do have, just because I don’t know everything. There is nothing arrogant about being confident in your testimony. There is always something more to learn, but I will hold on fervently to the things that I already know, and I will build on that foundation – line upon line, precept on precept!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...