Friday, June 11, 2010

Blindness of their Minds

In the current political climate, there is a lot of talk about being “open minded.” In a recent discussion about open mindedness and politics, my very wise uncle said, “If you’re too open minded, your brains will fall out.” Another uncle countered with “If you are too close minded, you’ll risk having a stroke.”

All humor aside, I was reading in Alma 13 the other day and came across verse 4. It seemed very appropriate in light of the current discussion.

…while others would reject the Spirit of God on account of the hardness of their hearts and blindness of their minds…

I find it very interesting that Alma says people who reject the Spirit of God have “blind” minds. But in the world, I think it is suggested that people who have accepted the gospel and a Savior and a God in Heaven are close minded, brain-washed, or otherwise confused. I tend to think that those who have accepted religion are in fact more open minded (and open hearted) to those who vehemently deny a God and Creator, and Savior.

I pray that my heart can be soft and that my mind can see and accept the Spirit of God so that I can have what Alma defines as a “great privilege.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...