Sunday, July 8, 2012

GCBC Week 15: Willing and Worthy to Serve

My favorite part about reading the talks from the Priesthood session is applying the counsel from that meeting to my own life. There is no reason why these talks can’t benefit me personally. They don’t have to be instruction only to my husband and other Priesthood holders in the Church.

I enjoyed the quotes President Monson shared from past presidents of the Church regarding the Priesthood, and I realized that I should really study their words more.

Willing and Worthy to Serveby President Thomas S. Monson

“when God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right.”

I slept and dreamt
That life was joy
I awoke and saw
That life was duty
I acted and behold
Duty was joy.

What struck you from President Monson’s talk?

Also – we just passed the half way mark, and I just wanted to see who’s still out there with us! If you’re still following along with us, just give a little shout out in the comments. Just a “Hey, I’m still here!” will work! Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Pres. Monson's assertion that the priesthood governs all things brought to mind the fact that all my most powerful and dear happinesses are mine because of the priesthood. All that I hold dear is because of God's power on earth and those who lovingly hold it. In my primary class, we were talking about things to be grateful for and one of my sweet 6yo boys gleefully said he was grateful to come to the church with all of the truth--the only church with all of the truth in it. His eyes were shining so when he said it. If I don't do my duty in teaching him and his classmates, will that shine fade? Another of my sweet class members said last week that he is grateful to have miracles to look for. I loved that Pres Monson tied miracles to the priesthood--that miracles are everywhere when the priesthood is understood. When service replaces striving (love that phrase too!), we truly can see God's hand and His power in everything.

    My most dear concern these days is how to teach duty and work to my children. Our culture avoids work and seeks out indolence. But duty is noble. I want to teach the willingness to serve that Pres. Monson so beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this quote from President Monson's talk is such a good concept to teach soon-to-be priesthood holders (hang it on the fridge or anywhere they will see it often): "The priesthood is not so much a gift as it is a commission to serve, a privilege to lift, and an opportunity to bless the lives of others." It describes so beautifully what the priesthood means (at least to me).

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...