Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Mother’s Sacred Trust

I have been trying to be a good mother for the past three years, and I think I’ve been doing an okay job.

But I know that I can do more, and be better. And I also know that it is imperative for me to do a better job.

I attended a women’s conference last year with a friend of another faith. We are both Christian, and the conference was about raising good Christian boys to be good Christian husbands and fathers. It was a really good conference, and the keynote speaker had a book that I decided needed to be a part of my home library.

I love the book. It’s called Preparing Him for the Other Woman and talks about teaching your son and raising him to be ready to marry a good Christian woman some day. The author is missing some truths – but nearly every thing she writes about is true, and the spirit has testified to me of its truthfulness. I will supplement my reading with LDS General Conference talks and the counsel of our modern day prophets, but her book is a beautiful resource – full of a mother’s testimony of God and Christ, and of her responsibility as a mother. There is truth everywhere – and the spirit will help us find that truth. I’m grateful for my friend who invited me to this conference. It was really uplifting, and this book has been an invaluable resource.

The thing I want to work on this week with my son is teaching him to have a real relationship with God (and with Christ, and the atonement). The book’s author suggests, “When he is crying, have him tell is Daddy in heaven what hurts. When he is happy or excited, lead him in thanking God for His goodness.”

I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to be a mother, and I hope and pray that I can raise my children to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...