Friday, February 17, 2012

Forgetfulness and the Holy Ghost

I just can't get enough of the Book of Mormon. I get sucked in and can't stop reading. I can't stop asking questions while I read, either.


For example, I was reading 1 Nephi 7 and I came across Nephi's little lecture to Laman and Lemuel - "How is it that ye have forgotten that ye have seen and angel of the Lord?" "How is it that ye have forgotten what great things the Lord has done for us?" "How is it that ye have forgotten that the Lord is able to do all things?"

This is the first time I realized that no one ever really answers those questions in the Book of Mormon. Laman and Lemuel just end up angry with Nephi and they tie him up. (more about that later)

Well, as I was reading, I thought of the scripture John 14:26 which says the Holy Ghost will "bring all things to your remembrance". In context, the Savior was telling his disciples that the Holy Ghost would help them remember the things He had taught them, even after he was gone. In the same way, then, the Holy Ghost can help us remember our blessings. But we will not have that remembrance without the Holy Ghost, and we need to have faith and be living worthy of his companionship.

From observation, we can tell that Laman and Lemuel didn't always have the Holy Ghost with them. They lacked the faith necessary for that gift, and so it was easy for them to forget the blessings and promises of the Lord.

I know that the Spirit has helped me remember my blessings and remember ye promises the Lord has given me. I hope that I can always remember the role the Spirit plays in helping me remember.

Have you ever forgotten blessings and promises you have received from Heavenly Father? Has the Spirit helped you remember those things?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I forget my blessings all the time! Like yesterday I was mad about something, and I was like, "I never get my way! Can't I get my way just ONCE?" But then, I remembered I always get my way. Like, I got married in the temple to my sweetheart (even though it was later than I wanted), I had a sweet baby girl and had the birth that I wanted (although it was later than I wanted), I got my Bachelor's and Master's degree (although it was later than I wanted) and now I am becoming a doula. So, I really DO get everything I want, but when I am having a baby fit that it doesn't come in MY timing but the Lord's timing, I'm all like, "Wah! I NEVER get what I want!!!" And as soon as the words enter my brain, then I remember all the blessings I have.

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...