Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Gift for Emma

Heather over at Women in the Scriptures has been doing a week-long celebration for Emma Hale Smith’s birthday, which happens to be today. As part of the celebration, she encouraged us to write our testimonies of the Book of Mormon as a birthday present for Emma. So here is my testimony.

I have read the Book of Mormon a few times, and I have studied it vigorously both in seminary, and later in college. When I was in high school, I read the Book of Mormon all the way through, took Moroni’s challenge (see Moroni 10:4-5), and I knew – I absolutely knew – that it was true. I have read the Book of Mormon all the way through twice since then, and although I don’t study the Book of Mormon the way I used to, I still know that it is true, and I love reading its words. As a mother now, I am grateful for the opportunity I have to teach my children about Jesus Christ and the principles of His everlasting gospel by reading to them from the Book of Mormon, and teaching them the stories from the Book of Mormon. 

DSCN5147To keep my testimony strong, I read the Book of Mormon every night. Sometimes it is a verse or two, and sometimes it is a page or two, and sometimes it might be a chapter or two. I use an “economy” version of the Book of Mormon so that I can mark it up as I read, and then when I start reading it again, I get a new book so that I can have a fresh slate as I read. It is interesting to read through my old books that I have marked up as I can see what things stood out to me at the time in my life.

I love to read the Book of Mormon. I am a happier person when I read the Book of Mormon. I am a better wife, and a more patient mother. When I am in need of inspiration, often that inspiration comes to me as verses or principles that I learned from the Book of Mormon.

I know that it is the most correct book on the face of the earth, and that you will get closer to God by reading it – and you will come to know, really know Jesus Christ our Savior. The book is a testimony of our Savior, and every page bears witness of Him and of His plan.

I am so grateful to Emma for supporting Joseph and doing what the Lord asked her to do so that this book could come forward. I know that she is truly an elect lady, and she inspires me to support my husband as a man of God.

Emma, thank you, thank you, thank you. The Book of Mormon has truly blessed my life. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing. I love your idea about using an "economy" version of the Book of Mormon. That is something I'll have to try! Thanks for giving Emma a present.

    ReplyDelete

What makes your soul delight? This is my invitation to you to share your thoughts right here on my blog. I read every one of them, and I appreciate them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...